Most people have been told that it’s important to recycle, but do we actually understand why it’s important? Sure, you might keep a separate recycling bin outside your home, but is it really worth the extra time and effort? If you or someone you know struggles to find the motivation to recycle, it may help to first understand more about the important environmental and economic reasons for doing so.
5 Benefits of Recycling
- Saves Natural Resources – Recycling prevents new raw materials from being used and also saves space in landfills for other materials that can’t be recycled.
- Stimulates Job Growth – Recycling plants require workers, which then create jobs and help stimulate the growing economy.
- Saves Energy – Recycling can conserve up to 95% of the energy required to manufacture aluminum and 40 to 70% of the energy needed to make glass, paper and other metal products. Recycling just one aluminum can will save enough energy to run your TV set for three hours.
- Creates Less Pollution – Producing recycled materials dramatically reduces the pollution levels that would be created when using raw materials.
- Saves Landfill Space – Nearly one ton of solid waste is collected annually per person and recycling can dramatically reduce that amount.
Recycling Makes a Difference
Consider the differences between producing one ton of paper vs. making one ton of recycled paper. One ton of new paper uses 17 trees and more than 16,000 kilowatt hours, whereas one ton of recycled paper takes less than 6,000 kilowatt hours and uses no new trees. Other benefits of making and using recycled paper include:
- 74% Less Air Pollution
- 35% Less Water Pollution
- 58% Less Water Used
One ton of paper might sound like a lot, but consider all of these items that can be recycled:
- Notebook Paper
- Junk Mail
- Paper Bags
- Office Paper
- Greeting Cards
- Paper Tubes
- Food Packaging
- Paperback Books
Recycle with RBS Sanitation
At RBS Sanitation, we want to help get our planet back on track, which is why we encourage recycling and give you the tools you need to recycle successfully. If you want to maximize your household or business’s recycling potential and help make the environment more eco-friendly, contact RBS Sanitation today. We are your Sioux Falls recycling partners!