Bad Garbage Can Smells
So what is it exactly that makes your garbage can smell? For the most part, moldy, rotten, and spoiled foods are the reason behind your smelly garbage cans. It’s especially hard to mask the odor of strong smelling foods like fish, garlic, and onion. These smells can linger for days, even weeks, when thrown onto a garbage can. Rotten meat, spoiled milk, and old eggs also make your garbage can smell, making it a good idea for you to put smelly foods in a thick plastic bag before throwing it away.
Potential Health Hazards
Every year, Americans generate over 250 million tons of trash. Heath hazards from rotting garbage is a real thing, The bacteria found in garbage cans can be harmful to your health, which is also one of the main reasons why your garbage can is starting to smell. Because moldy food like bread and cheese can release harmful spores it’s best to but moldy food in plastic bags before putting it into your garbage can.
Garbage Smell Solutions
So what can you do to keep your garbage cans from smelling bad in the summertime? Here are a few garbage smell solutions for you to try.
- Cleaning the garbage can out regularly with bleach is the best way for you get rid of garbage can smells in the garage, Once clean let it dry in the sun, which kills the bacteria
- Reduce food waste. Since food is a major culprit when it comes to a smelly garbage can, composting can help if you throw away a lot of food. Or you can keep old food waste in heavy duty plastic bags, or in the freezer until garbage pickup day
- Putting chunks of charcoal, a few cups of cat litter, baking soda, or a few dryer sheets at the bottom of your garbage cans will help absorb bad garbage can smells.
- If you have a drain in your garage, be sure to clean this area as well with bleach and/or baking soda.
Keeping Bad Smells Away
Once you’ve eliminated the bad garbage smells in your garage, you’re going to want to keep them from returning. You can do this by:
- Using a few tablespoons of baking soda and/or kitty litter, which is great for absorbing, getting rid of any new bad smells
- There are also trash and garbage can deodorizers such as ZEP and Arm & Hammer’s Trash And Dumpster Deodorizer and others
- Putting your garbage in sturdy garbage bags that close tight so that there’s no possibility of leaking
- Increasing the air flow by using a portable or ceiling fan to circulate the air.
RBS Sanitation’s Garbage Removal Service
If you live around the Sioux Falls area, RBS Sanitation can assist you with all of your residential garbage removal service needs. The company has been providing professional garbage disposal services for almost 60 years, and earned the reputation of the best garbage collector in the Sioux Falls area due to it’s affordable and reliable service. While there may be other choices when it comes to finding the best garbage collection company, know that at RBS we pride ourselves on placing our customers first.